Monday 13 June 2011

Chapter 1 - The football scouting system (b)

As football fans, I’m pretty sure we had all dreamt about playing professional football. But, living in Malaysia, have you ever thought about this: how would you join a professional team in the very first place?

I did think about it, actually, and I’ll tell you how: one day, I’m playing football with my friends. I don’t realize that there’s anyone watching. And that day, I somehow played very well, as if others are watching me in slow motion with all my grace and skill and heart. And after the game has ended, a mysterious guy comes to me and tells me that he is a scout for a certain team and wants me to play for them.

I’m pretty sure I’m not the only one who has dreamt so, but we all know that it’s not going to happen, at least not in Malaysia, right?

In Malaysia, the fact is that it’s usually through trials that players are realized of their potential, and ultimately signed. But do you ever know that? As a football fan, have you heard of teams campaigning for trials, for new players? Have you seen advertisements or promotions regarding football team trials? I’ve only heard of one: MyTeam, and that’s it!

What about football academies? I’ve only heard of one in Malaysia only: Brazilian Football Centre (http://www.brazilfootballcentre.com.my/), and that’s it. The state teams' youth academies usually get players from limited sources: 1 particular school. For our case in Seremban: STAD ---> Sekolah Tunku Ampuan Durah. Not to mention that they would usually require you to abandon your studies after SPM if you want to play for them.
Besides, in Europe, trials are usually for not-so-eye-catching talents, whereas eye-catching talents are usually scouted at a very early age while playing for school teams or local leagues.
For example, and an extreme one, a Dutch professional football team, VVV Venlo, has signed an 18-MONTH-old baby-boy to a 10-year-contract after watching a video in Youtube which saw the baby kicking balls directly into a toy chest. This is the link for the news report and video: http://997now.radio.com/2011/04/29/soccer-team-signs-one-year-old-baby/
vvvbaby3 Soccer Team Signs One Year Old Baby
I guess this just adds to the irony when we think about Yong Kuong Yong’s first professional contract at the age of 21, who had to go for a trial to earn his contract.

Yes, it is the problem of the scouting system. In fact, one may ask if there’s any scouting system existing in the professional teams in Malaysia at all. I’m sure there are some, though, but apparently not working well enough.

By now, I’m sure you can get a small picture of the inefficiency of Malaysian Football.

But, understand this: it’s not solely the scouting system that has a problem. In fact the inefficiency of the scouting system is a product of a higher and bigger problem, which we will discuss in the next post.

No comments:

Post a Comment